Thursday, July 8, 2010

The First Stride

Have you ever tried to stuff a closet or a cupboard or for that matter a fajita with things and it has all come spilling out? Well that is kind of what my brain feels like right now.

You see, I'm a runner. Not a professional runner or even an avid runner, but I love the sport. It's bread in my blood too. My whole family runs and I have had the pleasure and honour of running alongside all of them. To me running is one of the best feelings in the world, probably one of the closest things to a drug I'll ever get.

So after 12 years, about 25 races and over a thousand kilometres running for cross-country teams, track and field squads and just for fun I have gathered a lot of lessons and advice from teammates, family members, friends, an amazing girlfriend, coaches, nature and countless other individuals.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned is that running is a lot like life.

Just as running is full of hills, heat, wind, rain, sweat, tears and glory so is life and those tidbits of knowledge I picked up, and am still picking up, about running has helped me navigate both the terrain in the park and through my life.

So I have decided to embark on a jouney to get these lessons from my head to paper. Just like running, everything in life starts with the first stride. My journey may be full of pain, cramps, dehydration, euphoria and pride. But for now, this is MY first stride.

See you on the way to my second!

1 comment: