Thursday, November 11, 2010

No Excuses

I can't see the sun. I can't see the sun because, although it's shining right now, I'm sitting in my small bedroom in Ottawa and my only window faces the brick wall of the house beside mine. Not the greatest view.

I'm not outside running. I'm not outside enjoying the relatively warm November weather and the sun and the joy and health that running gives me. There are no excuses for this.

I could say that I have too much work, too many essays to write, articles to research, dishes to clean. I could say that I'm not feeling the best or that I don't have proper running clothes for this weather. I could say those things, but really there are no excuses.

A ten minute run would do me good. It would rejuvenate me, help me relax, help me to appreciate the amazing circumstances I find myself in, which is having streets I'm able to run in and weather that is great. Most importantly running would help me to get back to something I love to do and something that would help me to be happier and healthier. And ten minutes a day is really all it takes.

Running is not the only thing I take for granted and make up excuses for because it is easier to turn it aside than work for it. I haven't written a blog in two weeks. I love writing, but with all the deadlines, errands and seasons of Weeds I need to catch up on I have become lazy with writing my blog.

We all have things that we want to do, should do and love to do in life that seem to always fall behind other supposedly more important and time consuming things. Whether it's that dream to travel to a different country, learn how to drive, help the homeless or even just talk to a friend, we often seem to make excuses to not do these things.

Yes it's hard to get up out of your comfort zone, routine or busy schedule and do something that won't earn you money, awards or a higher GPA, but in reality the things you put off doing are the things that will make you and those around you happiest. Plus, many of these things do not take that much time out of your day.

My dad always told me, especially around exam or midterm time, to get out for a ten to 15 minute run and that it would help me relax and come back to my study material fresher and more focused, helping me in the long term. When you do something you love, when you go after your goals, when you help people, this makes you a better person, mentally, physically, spiritually or emotionally, and benefits you in all you do.

So when crunch time comes around again, and it inevitably does, look stress, laziness and inactivity in the eye and tell them you're going to do what you love, that they have failed and you're not going to except any excuses anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Just the motivation I needed to keep going on this paper! And I liked the part about getting a driver's license :)

    ReplyDelete