Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Difficult Choice

Standing on the bleachers at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke I had a big choice. A choice that would determine the rest of day and maybe the rest of the month. A choice so important my stomach was rumbling with suspense.

Ham sandwich or apple?

You see I had a big race in about an hour and I was hungry. My dad had advised me to eat the apple about an hour before the race to keep up my strength and fuel my body. He also told me I shouldn't eat the sandwich because, well, undigested meat and bread don't feel very good when you're running.

But that ham sandwich was calling to me.

After looking at the two suitors to my stomach for about 10 minutes I settled on the apple, deciding to go with the tried and true wisdom of my dad before my own desires.

I ran my race, did well and most importantly didn't feel the slightest twinge of pain in my stomach. That day I learned that deciding what to eat before a race was crucial to my success.

And, as it often does, a lesson learned in food and running can be applied in life as well.

We have goals in life, but they require hard work, and just like a gruelling race in the middle of the day in the heat of summer, this work can be tiring.

So if the path to our dreams is so hard who wouldn't want to deviate from this path once in a while? Who wouldn't want to go to a party instead of studying or doing that essay? Who wouldn't rather be at a movie instead of building a house? Who wouldn't want to be lying in a hammock instead of eating disgusting volumes of pie in preparation for a pie eating contest?

There are definitely temptations that are hard to ignore. They are the ham sandwich to my apple. And there is nothing wrong with doing things that make you happy, especially if it means spending time with family and friends. I mean I have had some pretty awesome ham sandwiches in my life.

But before you go off and do these things consider the consequences they could have on your goals and dreams and try to balance achieving these things with enjoying life and different experiences.

Just because I couldn't have my ham sandwich before my race doesn't mean I could never have it, it just meant I had to wait till I completed my race. When you sacrifice things in life for a goal it may mean that you have to wait to enjoy them.

But waiting can make the thing you desire all the more sweet, especially when you are enjoying it stress free. I can tell you this from experience, because that ham sandwich tasted pretty good after running a good race.

Now don't get me wrong, that apple I ate was very good as well and I enjoyed it. I didn't starve myself. When your working hard for something don't starve yourself of all experiences in life or you will lift your head up one day and realize that some awesome things and people have passed you by.

So next time you're pursuing a goal, enjoy life, but stay focused. Striking that balance seems simple, but can be quite hard to put into practice. Just remember that an apple a day means life, and your dreams, aren't far away.

1 comment: