Friday, October 22, 2010

Sometimes Bees Sting Twice

My brother Matthew and I had left the group of three or four behind and were flying down the gravel road. We had pushed ahead of my dad, my other brother Paul and the one or two other kids who made up our little unofficial, off season running club. One of us would rachette up the intensity every few strides, prodding each other on, and we were making great time because of it.

We came over a slight hill in the road, the evening sun glowing at our backs, neck and neck. The only thing missing was an epic soundtrack, maybe something from Chariots of Fire.

Too bad real life isn't a whole lot like movies.

Matthew suddenly yelled out in pain and dropped to the ground. I reversed and started running towards him to see what was wrong. That's when I felt a sharp pain on my thigh and I too crumpled to the ground in pain.

It must have been a pretty bizzare scene for Paul as he reached us, both brothers rolling on the ground trying to muffle swears and groans.

It turned out a bee had stung both Matthew and I. Yes, I know bees aren't supposed to be able to sting twice, but this one must have been a super bee because it did.

So in the midst of all the pain, grass stains and inevitable post sting embarrasment I managed to learn a lesson about life from all this.

There will be days as you're going through life or towards your goals when you feel amazing, when everything is going well, when you can picture yourself as a character in a Hollywood blockbuster about your extrordinary life played by Owen Wilson or Brad Pitt or Blake Lively. And then you'll hit tough times.

It might be that your entire 15 page essay just got totally erased and it's due tomorrow or you injured yourself badly or got news of a personal tragedy or loss. These things hurt and can stop you in your tracks, just as the pain of that bee sting sent be to the ground in pain.

I was lucky that day to have my brothers right there with me. Matthew was litterally beside me rolling around in pain from the sting and although he couldn't offer me much physical or verbal comfort it was good to know that someone else was sharing in my pain and could understand the situation with me.

My brother Paul was there right after it happened and got the stinger out of me. He was there to help and comfort me when I needed it.

In tough times, whether it's being bullied or being dumped or some other emotional or physical obstacle it is important to realize that you are not alone and that there are people who care enough to help. The key thing is to surround yourself with these people, realize that the opinions of these people far outmatch any one else's and to help each other stay strong in adversity.

It isn't always easy to find people who will be there for you, but they are out there, trust me, so don't lose hope. I learned one spring day that bees sometimes sting twice, but that's what brothers, or sisters or parents or friends or whomever, are for.

Here is a video made by students at my school, Carleton University, letting everyone out there know that even though life is sometimes painful, there are people who love you and that it gets better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzRs3ApCLkg

2 comments:

  1. My sister and I LOVED THIS! :D Great job Marc, i see big things in the future for you! :D no more silly bees!

    ReplyDelete